Sunday, September 16, 2007

Tour of Missouri Pre-Race Report

Welcome to the first ever Tour of Missouri. For those of you who haven’t read my reports before, I’ll explain. I’ve been volunteering for these events (Tour de Georgia, Tour of California, and US Pro Championships to name a few) since 2004. So I like to tell my friends and others about what it’s like “behind the scenes” from the folks who put the race together, the volunteers who keep our race running, and the view we have of the race, the riders, staff, etc. This year, I finally have a “real job” with the Tour; I’ve risen above being a mere volunteer and now wear a “key staff” credential. I’m working with Virginia Kavanaugh, a member of the Medalist Sports staff. Medalist Sports is the marketing company that puts on these races. A state or group will approach Medalist with the idea of a race like this. Medalist will cover every angle of the race from the course, to the teams, the hotels, transportation, race employees, the food they eat and many, many other areas. Virginia is the Client Services Director. She oversees and directs the sponsors, hospitality, the signage you see around the course, just to name a few. So I’ll be taking a little part in each of these areas helping her. I’ll know more about my job tomorrow and will explain it in tomorrow’s report. But here’s what’s gone on so far…I flew into Kansas City on Sunday around midday. Once you get to your hotel, your first job is to “process”. The process of processing involves getting your credentials, your per diem, you uniform, and technical and housing manuals. (Everything but the tech and housing manuals are different depending on your job.) Your second job is to get checked into your room (Your hotel also depends on your job. Some different groups are at different hotels.) and then get aquainted with the rest of the staff you’ll be working with. Once I got the hotel, I immediately called Virginia to see what I needed to do for the day. A few hours later, I was in the race office helping pack away items that will be auctioned off throughout the week to VIPs. That, in fact, was my only job for the day. Later that afternoon, I hopped in the Tour vehicle for a trip to Wal Mart and Chipotle (I guess I have to support the new American team…). Each vehicle is decaled by the transportation staff and I always feel pretty cool driving a car with official decals, especially being in the driver seat of this car saying “Client Services Director.” Each car is labeled specially for the folks it holds. All of the race directors (“Director of Communications”, “Race Director”, “Technical Director”), Media, Staff, Marshalls, VIPs… So any time you’re sitting in the lobby of your race hotel, you’re almost always surrounded by riders and team staff. Occasionally you’ll recognize a familiar (or FAMOUS) face. All of the riders are always wearing some kind of team gear, so after a while it becomes easier to recognize the riders. Funny enough, after getting a text message from my friend making sure I had arrived in Missouri, also asking me to send cheers out to Alberto and Johan, who else strides through the lobby right by me than my hero himself, Johan Bruyneel, Director of Discovery Channel. I’ve been away from the pro race scene for a whole six days and haven’t seen or spoken to Johan since February (when I greeted him at the airport for the Tour of California) so I choked and immediately drove into sending a text message on my phone. A few minutes later, George Hincapie and Tony Cruise walked through. Tony and I know each other a bit and he gave me a high-five as he walked by. I thought “two is enough for me” so I headed toward my room for a little Cyclingnews.com time when I saw Popovich getting off the elevator. The rest of the day went by uneventfully. Monday was going to be a busier day…So Monday morning started fairly early. The day before the race is always full of MEETINGS! Some start bright and early and some end late at night. I missed the chance for breakfast so I could sit in on an Announcers Meeting at 10am. The announcers meeting included folks like Chris Aronholt, one of the Tour Directors, the two announcers Dave Thole and Jeff Roak, Steff, their assistant, Jason Callaly, Master Whip, and Kelly Greene, Venue Director, just to name a few. This meeting covered the “goings on” before the race as well as the podium presentations. It covered who will be on stage and when, how long they will be talking, and what sponsors to pay homage to when. Tuesday being 9/11, the emphasis was put on the Governor and the Veterans that will be present before the stage. We also talked about the podium presentations after the stage ends. Not all of the meetings are serious!!! We had a good laugh (at the sponsors expense, or not so much) while debating whether the Build A Bear mascot would be a real bear or a true mascot. The meeting lasted less than an hour and we all went about lunch plans. My lunch plan including a trip to Dicks Sporting Goods to buy a jacket. Apparently no one knew what to expect when coming to Missouri. We all packed shorts and t-shirts and the race organization held of on supplying jackets expecting the weather to be “nice and warm”. This morning we were greeted with fair winds and temps in the upper 60s, slowly but surely falling. I wasn’t the only Tour member at the store. I also noticed a Team car and a Medical car in the parking lot, the occupants I recognized were also looking in the long sleeve section.Monday also included events for riders, key staff, and VIPs. There was a Team Presentation at the Intercontinental hotel followed by a Gala for the riders, sponsors, and VIPs. Once this event concluded, the key staff returned back to the race hotel for a final “All Staff Meeting” which wrapped up the day for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home